Remember this? Well, you'll be glad to know that something did eventually come of it. Actually, the basic structure of this smock was finished a couple of months ago, but really needed a pair of well placed pockets in order to be officially called complete. Taking the time to finish detail work on projects is generally the thing that holds me back, and this was certainly the case here. It took me three months to find the fifteen necessary minutes to be able to do the sewing needed to take the smock out the mending pile and hang it in the closet.
I ended up pretty much ditching the original pattern on which the basic structure of the smock was based. Instead, I came up with an a-line shape that worked well enough for the front (with room to add some pintucks), and then made a back that was slightly smaller but split into two pieces. It closes at the top of the back with a single wooden button. In other words, I'm not exactly sure how I made this thing, and I'm not sure that I could duplicate it.
Oooh... check out my messy dining room table and laundry pile in the photo background. I don't think I meant for you to see that.